Wise Choices When Choosing Your Fats
• Eat plant-based foods. Plants can contain healthy fats, as well as important vitamins and minerals.
• Include plant oils in your diet. Healthy choices include canola, peanut, olive, safflower, soybean, sunflower, corn, and nut oils.
• Replace foods containing saturated fats (like butter or lard) with healthier unsaturated fat options.
• Limit fatty red meat. Instead, eat more fish, poultry, or lean meats.
• Reduce sugars and replace processed grains, such as white bread and white rice, with whole grains and brown rice. The body can use simple carbohydrates to make saturated fats.